Could you imagine a film that featured Nicolas Cage as Superman? Or a serious movie that saw Batman take on not Superman, but Godzilla? What about Godzilla vs. Frankenstein? They seems like outlandish ideas no one could ever seriously pitch to a studio but thanks to Mental Floss, we now now 55 of the worst movie ideas that almost happened.
As CinemaBlend points out, host John Green isn’t breaking any news or telling us large shares of information we haven’t heard before. But it’s one thing to know of a few of these titles and it’s an entirely different thing to hear them rattled off like in the video.
Some highlights include:
- Batman vs. Godzilla
- Godzilla vs. Frankenstein
- Superman Lives (Starring Nicolas Cage as Superman)
- The Clash starring in Gangs of New York
- The Beatles in Lord of the Rings
- Seriously, Dude, Where’s My Car?
- Stanley Kubrick’s Napoleon (which is one of a few we really wish we’d seen)
- Jerry Lewis Holocaust clown movie The Day The Clown Cried
Some films, like Kubrick’s lost Napoleon film, are projects we would have liked to see actually happen. Others, like Jerry Lewis’ movie about a clown entertaining kids in a Nazi concentration camp — not so much. I mean if you want to be super depressed, go watch The Boy With the Striped Pajamas and then just not leave your bedroom for a week.
So what are some films you’re either glad or upset we’ve never been able to see come to fruition? Sound off in the comments section and let us know.